Thursday, July 18, 2013

Adventures in MRI Land

I've been a terrible blogger.

I would like to tell you that I have been super busy or on some awesome vacation, but the truth is...
I've just been lazy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Let's play catch-up

Last weekend was wonderful though because Kindal, one of my old college roomies, came to town! We spent the weekend eating delicious food and drinking lots of wine.

Saturday night we ate at Persimmon's in New Bern - if you haven't been there, I highly recommend it. After crab dip, calamari, blackened chicken pasta and an amazing champagne/pineapple juice cocktail I was STUFFED. So what did we do after that? Buy a whole chocolate cake, a tub of ice cream and stuff our faces more while watching movies in our pajamas. Perfection. We only get to see Kindal a couple times a year, so the weekends are always way too short, but so much fun!
Roomie Reunion!
--------------------------------------------------------------------

So you might have looked at the title of this post and been slightly confused. If you don't already know, I injured my knee a little over a month ago. I had my first appointment with an orthopedic surgeon on the 10th of this month and after a physical examination he said that he was pretty sure I had torn my meniscus, but that he needed to see an MRI to be sure. It took a little while for them to call me back about when I would be going, but I ended up going to get an MRI scan done this past Tuesday. What is an MRI like, you ask?

LOUD.

I had one previously, but it had been years ago so I really had no idea what to expect other than going in a big magnetic tube. After filling out the paperwork, freaking out/hoping I didn't have any random metal in my body that would get sucked out and waiting for a bit, I was called back for my scan. I got a lovely pair of men's XL scrubs to put on (they really complimented my figure - I should have taken a picture!) and I hobbled towards the room where the machine was.

The MRI techs helped me lie down, strapped my knee in place, gave me some headphones to listen to music and told me it would take about 25 minutes. I had only one rule:
No moving.
Really? Do you know me? Not a problem. I've been lying still for the past month - I'm kind of a pro at it.

What I didn't think about is my body's natural urge to do the exact opposite of what it's told to do.
"Oh? You want to go outside and have fun? Nope. I'm tired and hurt - lets stay in bed all day and not move. What's that now? You want me to be perfectly still? Nah uh. Not gonna happen."
So as soon as the machine turned on and started sucking me in to the tube (which is tiny and now it makes sense why they ask if you are claustrophobic) this is what was racing through my mind.


For the entire 25 minutes.

#1: Why did I pick this position? It might be the most uncomfortable position I have ever been in.
#2 My left foot itches SO BAD.
#3 Please don't suck me all the way in this tiny tube. (thankfully, I only went boob deep)
#4 My feet are very cold, socks would be great right about now.
#5 I really hope I don't have any random metal that is going to rip out of my body.
#6 LOUD NOISES.
#7 Is is supposed to sound like this or is it breaking?


So after 25 minutes of resisting the urge to move around, scratch my cold feet or wiggle out of the incredibly loud death tube - I was done.
Pshhhh, that wasn't bad at all. I wasn't nervous... Nope.
I hobbled back out, got compliments on my super awesome crutch cup holder (thanks Dad!) and was on my way! Now I go back to the orthopedic surgeon tomorrow afternoon to discuss the result of my MRI and decided where to go from there. Preparing for the worst, but hoping for the best!

--------------------------------------------------------------------

xoxo
- Jenny


No comments:

Post a Comment